Now is the time to pursue a career in healthcare. To get started, enroll at the college, then complete a program application using the instructions on this page. Program applications are currently being accepted by email only. Admissions Specialists are available to help you by phone or by email. Call 704.330.6284 or 704.330.6958 to schedule your personal phone appointment.
What You Will Learn
Physician’s offices and healthcare facilities are increasing in numbers across the nation to accommodate America’s aging population. As a result, medical assisting is becoming one of the fastest growing careers in the country. For the past 50 years, Central Piedmont’s medical assisting program has been producing graduates with the skills and knowledge needed to address this national trend. Our program reviews the critical administrative tasks, clinical functions and laboratory procedures medical assistants perform each day in the field; equipping you with the hands-on training needed to pursue a successful career in the healthcare setting of your choice.
Medical assistants provide care and comfort to people with healthcare needs, while helping physicians’ offices run smoothly and efficiently. As a result, our program reviews the critical administrative tasks, clinical functions and laboratory procedures medical assistants perform each day in the field, such as:
- recording vital signs
- drawing blood and administering injections
- assisting physicians with medical examinations
- organizing medical records
- scheduling appointments, receiving patients
- performing medical coding and submitting insurance billing
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- demonstrate critical thinking skills and problem solving abilities in the performance of entry-level medical assisting
- perform entry level Competencies for Medical Assistants as developed and published by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) in cooperation with the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB)
- perform all administrative and clinical procedures, which are assigned by a supervising physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant with a high degree of technical skill, effectiveness, efficiency, and safety as an entry-level medical assistant
Graduates of the program find work in physician offices, urgent care centers, medical clinics, outpatient surgery centers, and ambulatory care centers.
Why Choose Central Piedmont
Let us help you fulfill your healthcare career goals. At Central Piedmont, you’ll find:
- Affordability: our diploma and associate degree programs are offered at a cost that is significantly less than similar programs at other area schools.
- Innovation: our challenging curriculum blends traditional classroom learning with the hands-on training you’ll need to pursue a successful career in the medical assisting field.
- Options: we offer both a medical assisting diploma and an Associate in Applied Science degree in medical assisting. These programs may be completed in just 2.5 semesters to accommodate your learning needs. Practicums are also available with many of the region’s leading health care providers.
- Quality: our medical assisting program is nationally accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). This means that when you enroll at Central Piedmont, you’re learning from one of the best.
- Success: our graduating classes have earned 100 percent pass rates on the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) national certified medical assistant (CMA) exam for 15 years. As a result, our graduates attract today’s employers. In fact, some have been hired before graduation.
Real World Education
At Central Piedmont, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, sports, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.