Status of Library Technologies
Assistive Technologies for Students with Disabilities
The library is committed to ensuring that all students have access to resources and equipment to increase independence, productivity, and success while at Central Piedmont. In fulfilling this commitment, the library — in collaboration with Disability and Access Services and Information Technology Services (ITS) — has added the following leading-edge technologies to assist students in the Central Campus library.
- Kurzweil 3000 Read/Scan reading software (v.9) with HP Scanner and 20” monitor: this reading system provides for enhanced reading, writing, and learning for low vision and learning disabled students. This system is located in the reference area on the 1st floor in the library the Central campus library.
- Merlin LCD CCTV (Closed Circuit TeleVision): a reading aid for text and image magnification. A 17” or 19” CCTV is located at each of the six campus libraries. In addition, CCTVs are also located in TE 231 and in Student Support Services at Levine.
- Accessible Software: Microsoft Accessibility Tools assist users with vision, hearing, and mobility needs. This tool is located on all PCs and can be accessed via the programs menu under the Accessories option.
- Kensington Expert and Optical Trackball Mouse: assists users with mobility impairments.
- Oversized hand calculator: numerical calculator with large key pad for individuals with vision and mobility impairments.
Additional assistive technologies are available in Disability and Access Services. If you have a documented disability or think you may have a need for accommodations, contact Disability and Access Services at 704.330.6621 (voice) or 704.330.6421 (TTY).
Library Computers, Software, and Self-Service
Each campus library has the following self-service computing options available.
All library computers include Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher. Other installed software is listed in the ITS Base Image.
Macintosh computers loaded with graphic design software are available at Central and Harper libraries.
Check Out Equipment
Check out the following equipment at each library:
Faculty and Staff
Check what is available at each location and make reservations:
Faculty/Staff Equipment Policy: Learn about the policy for checking out equipment, including length of checkouts, renewals, and late returns.
Semester Long Laptop Form: Need to checkout a laptop for an entire semester? Print out the form and return it to the library. Supplies are limited.