Financial Aid During the Coronavirus Pandemic

We understand that you may have questions about how the coronavirus situation might impact your financial aid.

Visit for Resources

Visit the Federal Student Aid Coronavirus Information page for answers to many questions and concerns you likely have as a result of the disruptions caused by coronavirus. Continue to check the page for updates — Federal Student Aid will continuously update the page in light of the ever-changing nature of this situation.

Financial Need or Lost Income Due to Coronavirus

Because of the coronavirus, some employers have shut down, and some people may not have been able to work due to illness. This may have affected your or your parents' ability to pay for your education. If you or your family are experiencing financial issues (for example, if your employer closed) and would like to discuss options for the current semester, summer 2020, or fall 2020, contact the Financial Aid office.

We may be able to use reconsideration requests on a case-by-case basis to make adjustments to the cost of attendance to the data used in calculating your estimated family contribution (EFC) to reflect your special circumstances, such as using your 2020 estimated income instead of 2018 income on your 2020–21 FAFSA, in order to adjust the amount of financial aid you receive. Before contacting the Financial Aid office, you must:

  • be ready to show documentation to back up any changes. We must have this documentation before we can consider adjusting the amount of financial aid you receive. Examples of documentation we may request are current year income statements, such as pay stubs and unemployment compensation determinations, or other items based on individual circumstances.
  • complete and submit a reconsideration request form along with the appropriate documentation. You can find the forms under Financial Aid Forms page. (Make sure you pick the form for the correct academic year.)

Higher Education Emergency Relief (Formerly CARES Act Emergency Grants)

Learn about Higher Education Emergency Relief.

Complete the FAFSA Now

You must complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year that you want to apply for federal and state grants, federal work-study, or institutional scholarships. Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible so that you can be considered for certain campus-based aid programs, such as Federal Work-Study and The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant. These funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Learn how to complete the FAFSA.

If you have already completed the most recent FAFSA, log in to MyCollege to check if you need to provide additional documentation to complete your financial aid offer.

Get Help Completing the FAFSA

Attend a FAFSA Workshop

Academic Performance

You are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward the completion of your degree in order to continue receiving federal financial aid. However, if circumstances related to the coronavirus have affected your ability to maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may appeal your loss of federal financial aid.

Learn more about the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) appeal process.

Return of Federal Financial Aid Funds

As part of the CARES Act, if you started attending Central Piedmont in a payment period or period of enrollment that began on or includes March 13, 2020, and then had to withdraw due to coronavirus-related circumstances, we are not required to take back your federal aid funds.

Federal Work-Study

If you are participating in the federal work-study program, actions taken to control the spread of coronavirus may have affected your ability to work. However, you may be still eligible to continue receiving federal work-study funds. For more information, contact Jordan Dalto at 704.330.2722 ext. 3944.

Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

The Veterans Affairs Education Benefits Office is currently accepting requests for certification for the summer 2020 semester. If you will be attending in the fall, you will not request certification for your fall 2020 courses until July. More information for the fall semester will be available in July. Please continue checking your student email for important updates. Please contact Central Piedmont Veterans Affairs Education Benefits at 704.330.6552 and/or email if you have any questions or concerns.

Submit Documentation

To submit information to the Financial Aid office while campuses are closed, consider using CamScanner. CamScanner is a mobile scanner that will allow you to easily scan and share requested financial aid documentation. This app is accurate and can automatically convert files into a PDF format. You can download CamScanner to an Android, iPhone, or iPad.

Financial Aid Help

The Financial Aid office is still here to address your questions and concerns. Please be patient, as we may be experiencing a high volume of questions and are likely still working out specific policies and procedures in this unprecedented time. You can call the main office at 704.330.6942, or you can contact your financial aid counselor directly. To find your financial aid counselor's name, phone number, and email address, log in to financial aid self-service on MyCollege.

Get Answers to Your Financial Aid Questions 24/7